Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ministry Part II

So I did the whole meet & greet with the youth pastor on Thursday and I went away with more thought on the subject then I went in with.

It was very informal & about 10 minutes long at the most. He just said I should go visit the Youth Group & decide from there if its something I want to persue. Yeah, probably should have mentioned I haven't exactly been at a youth service pretty much since I left CFC....
It wasn't like I didn't want to go, just wasn't "of age" anymore.
He just talked about how he likes his leaders to be friends. Its so easy to have volunteer after volunteer, but if they dont' mesh then things get tough. Which I totally agree with. Its pretty obvious I probably don't know half the leaders anyway! :)

But when I left I just felt like, Why? Why do I need to be a part of a youth group anymore? That was then & this is now. Has my focus changed? Its my vision now different?
It was like I just didn't feel "it." What It is I don't know & I highly doubt I'll find it on ebay.
(lame joke)
Nothing wrong with the pastor, the youth group, nothing like that at all. I just walked away feeling like I was missing something.
So part of me feels like I'm right back at the beginning now.
God, what do you want me to do??

Part of me feels like I'm just seeking out places that are familiar like doing the whole youth group thing. Its familiar & sort of where I left off. But honestly was it ever really me? Was doing youth was I really felt Led to do?
Too many questions that right now I know will be left unanswered anyway.
God wants me to seek him on this subject I know it.
Instead of going to what I'm comfortable with. Sure it would have been an easy place to start, but I just feel like something is pulling me away from it. Like maybe I need to be patient to hear where God really wants me to go....

Now I get to go & write some email carefully backing out to Chad...Oh how I hate doing that sort of stuff, but better then leaving him hanging!

3 comments:

jasonwsimmons said...

Stay encouraged through the leadership process! You make a great point about reverting to what is known. One thing about being a leader (every Christian is called to be a leader) is that you have to stretch, get out of your comfort zone. There are seasons of life that we all go through. There was an absolute reason for you to serve in the youth at one point. Perhaps there are things you have learned and developed over the years that have matured your faith and brought you to a new place or season.

Now is the time to spend time with God finding out exactly where He wants to use you. It could still be with the youth, catch them while they are young, help them understand that they should always focus on God, not a youth pastor, sr. pastor or other Christians. People are human and make mistakes and are not always perfect. Teach people to focus on the only perfect one, Jesus. No matter the age group it sounds like you could help people to avoid the trap of offense?

Don’t sweat the fact that you would have to tell Chad you are not going to serve in his group. I know Chad, he is a solid leader and only wants you to be utilized and to find your best fit for PFC.

PFC is a very open church, if you feel like you want to do something specificly bring it to the staff and they will support it.

The key is to focus, James 4:8 simply states, “draw near to God, and He will draw near to you”. This is the key, have a heart after God and he will direct your ways.

Keep encouraged, God will place you in the right spot at the right time.

(I used to live in Puyallup, I saw your blog from Rachel’s blog). .

Jason Simmons- www.828central.com

jasonwsimmons said...

Stay encouraged through the leadership process! You make a great point about reverting to what is known. One thing about being a leader (every Christian is called to be a leader) is that you have to stretch, get out of your comfort zone. There are seasons of life that we all go through. There was an absolute reason for you to serve in the youth at one point. Perhaps there are things you have learned and developed over the years that have matured your faith and brought you to a new place or season.

Now is the time to spend time with God finding out exactly where He wants to use you. It could still be with the youth, catch them while they are young, help them understand that they should always focus on God, not a youth pastor, sr. pastor or other Christians. People are human and make mistakes and are not always perfect. Teach people to focus on the only perfect one, Jesus. No matter the age group it sounds like you could help people to avoid the trap of offense?

Don’t sweat the fact that you would have to tell Chad you are not going to serve in his group. I know Chad, he is a solid leader and only wants you to be utilized and to find your best fit for PFC.

PFC is a very open church, if you feel like you want to do something specificly bring it to the staff and they will support it.

The key is to focus, James 4:8 simply states, “draw near to God, and He will draw near to you”. This is the key, have a heart after God and he will direct your ways.

Keep encouraged, God will place you in the right spot at the right time.

(I used to live in Puyallup, I saw your blog from Rachel’s blog). I am not a stalker.

Rachel Ann said...

Marcie

I have to agree with Jason (who by the way is a great guy, so what he say's is right on). When I started getting involved with PFC, I headed straight to the youth ministry because that is what I had done at my previous church for years. And I thought I was pretty good at it, since I had worked with the youth pastor since I was MC grad. However, after just a few months in the youth ministry at PFC, I felt that I was totally in the wrong place. Did I truly pray about going back to youth? Probably not. And I stayed with it a few months longer than I should have.

However, once I left youth and began searching for what God really wanted me to do, I started to find the ministries that were right for me. I started out as an usher, and eventually became one of the head ushers...I loved it.

Then came Shannon Kapp :) He asked me to do MC, and my immediate response was no way! But you know what? It is perfect for me. It has re-established my faith in myself as a leader, and made me see how God truly sees me and how He wants me to be in the best place.

So...keep on praying and seeing what God would have you do. And like Jason said, if there isn't something at PFC that is a good fit and you have a passion within you for an area of ministry bring to Roger and he will support you.

Love you!
Rachel