Thursday, March 02, 2006

"God Bless You!"

I normally don't put much thought behind these 3 small little words, but after yesterday for some reason I was struck today to go & put some research behind this saying.
How often do we hear this said to us?
Sometimes daily if you're lucky enough to hear it from someone if you sneeze!!
When Chipo moved in with us she said it when she would leave or go to bed for example. It was like her Good bye.

Last night at work I had 2 ladies say it to me when I hung up with them. Its always unique to hear a perfect stranger say that to you. It made me pause 2 times even just for a moment when I finished their calls.

Today I thought why not go & see how the dictionary defines Bless.
Bless is defined as:

bless ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bls)tr.v. blessed, or blest (blst) bless·ing, bless·es
To make holy by religious rite; sanctify.
To make the sign of the cross over so as to sanctify.
To invoke divine favor upon.
To honor as holy; glorify: Bless the Lord.
To confer well-being or prosperity on.
To endow, as with talent.

My little pocket dictionary says that bless also means to Make Happy. Its neat how one tiny little word could have such incredible meanings.
Of course you could go on for days when you look at how many times the word Bless is mentioned in the bible!

So God Bless someone today!
You never know how special you might make that person feel today!

No comments: