Now I'm not saying I was wrapped up in what people think of me, but what they see me as.
At work yesterday we were talking about people seeing you and just assuming what you like. My co-worker was saying that if someone said I loved Puppy Dogs, sunshine, rainbows and fluffy bunnies--she'd believe it because I "look" like one of "those" types of people who would like that.
So I got to thinking about how w/out even knowing someone or hearing them speak---we just start assuming things about them.
I've talked at length about how people judge me based on my looks and how I look like I'm about 15 yrs old. It doesn't help that I dress like a 5 yr old at times.
Would I like to dress like a mature adult?
Actually if I was to be honest, no.
I like my "style" if you even want to call it that! Style & my name are not something you think as being in the same sentence. In fact, I'm sort of giggling right now thinking of it.
To me, dressing like a 5 yr old only makes me more like able and approachable. It makes me have character I like to think. Sure I shouldn't be wearing things like logo t-shirts with slogans like, "Make like a tree and leave" (come on! thats a classic!) or "Obviously I'm not Impressed."
But I like them. I like them a lot.
But then I got to thinking even MORE (double dangerous) and wondered if my "looks" were somehow keeping me from being more mature. Then I laughed at myself for even thinking so silly.
In reality, I think my dressing "down" protects me in some way. I don't want to be an adult. This is ironic because I'm turning 30 this year (April 30th BTW) and I'm sadly hanging onto some sort of Middle School phase.
I think you can have the best of both worlds, dressing w/ Character and dressing like an adult and still pass the look off great.

If Tim Gunn was here though, he wouldn't agree with me. In fact I think he'd look like that picture when I was trying to defend my "character." Yeah, he looks like he's not buying my thoughts on this issue.
Let it be KNOWN this post was not written so you all would go out and try to get me on Tim Gunn's Guide to Style (which would be my first choice) or What Not to Wear. Because let's face it, if I got on either of those shows, I would need a major wardrobe overhaul. And overhaul is a completely different show! LOL!
No comments:
Post a Comment