Friday, November 17, 2006

Preparing for the Future

So I did what I probably should have done years ago today-- took out a life insurance policy on both James & I. What a weird feeling that was. I don't really know how to describe it, but I feel like I'm preparing for the worst possible case scenario that might not ever happen. Its sort of like car insurance, but car insurance doesn't care if you die! Only if your car does.

After having to go thru dealing with my friends husbands passing, it really made me look at life & how fragile it is. This was just one detail I hadn't handled yet. Its sort of an annoying expense to me, but I'm slightly comforted with the thought that if anything happens to us or one of us Noah would be taken care of or each of us would. We wouldn't have to lose the house for example.
In a weird way I feel like I signed off a pre-nup with death or something though...

Anyway, that has been probably the most interesting thing I've done lately. I've also decided that I'm going to really start paying off those bills that seem to be following me. At one time the only debts James & I had was our house & cars. Yeah those were the days. What happened? Well, we moved & the house needed some updating. But really it probably didn't...I can justify the carpet though. It needed new carpet! :)
We dont' have massive debt, but we have enough that I'm tired of paying them each month. And here I'm the cheapskate in the relationship too!
Its not going to be easy to try harder like this when C-mas is approaching fast, but Noah is pretty much used to not getting a boatload of gifts from us each year. He usually laments about how Few gifts he recieves from us. HELLO? That video game did not come cheap! But Noah's understanding of how much things cost is right up there with his concept of time.
So I'm going to at least try our hardest to not use credit cards this winter unless necessary. That is easier said then done. Thankfully I don't have a big family I have to buy gifts for!
And really I don't want anything huge either, well unless they WANT to give me something! :)

Talk to you all later!!

3 comments:

Cagle Clan said...

still here...still enjoying your blog!!! :)
Yeah, that is weird deal to think of preparing for death. I keep avoiding doing a will!!! It's like if I don't think about it it can't happen or something!

MKD said...

Oh Man a will, yeah that is another thing I haven't gotten around to yet either. And I have a kid! Sheesh...but that takes a lot more work then just paying someone for the "possibility" of death even though its unavoidable! Oh life...

Rachel Ann said...

good for you about not using credit this winter! take it from someone who is up to her neck in credit card debt....ugh!!!!!

if you ever need a will, Charlie (the people I live with) is able to sell this monthly pre paid legal service which comes with a free will kit. the startup is $30 and $20 a month after that; however, you can cancel during the first month just to get the will kit. this is something i'm actually trying to work on with my dad.