Friday, October 20, 2006

Secret Side to Marcie

So I wanted to reveal a secret about myself.... I have started doing Art. Yes, me the person who can hardly put an outfit together is creating art!
When James & I went down to Seaside, Oregon (Remember stay at the Gilbert Inn when you go--http://www.gilbertinn.com/ right jess?) we went into this little gift store that was new to us. It had been on a different street all these years, but they recently moved closer to the main drag.
It had a lot of gift type things in there, but the thing that struck me as being the neatest (is that really a word?) thing was they had all these art pieces done with Mosaic pieces. The lady who owned the store had a bunch of her pieces on Display done with broken plates. It was very very neat.
And I was inspired to do it myself. I bought a book to self teach myself how to do it and so far I had nearly completed on piece. right now I'm working on re-doing a side table that I bought for $3 at an antique store. It was really ugly and dated so I sanded it all down & put shattered pieces of plates on top. It looks really neat & doesn't really require a whole lot of artsey knowhow. Trust me, I couldn't draw if my life depended on it.
It is time consuming. To take each little piece & lay it by hand, but I can see why mosaic artists charge so much for their work.

Who knows what'll happen from it, but maybe I'll get good someday. If not, it makes for nice Christmas presents!

Ta-ta for now everybody!!

No comments: