Saturday, October 01, 2005

Forgiveness from a Child

So Noah has been having an interesting time at school lately & just hasn't told anyone.
(nope this doesn't have to do with his teacher amazingly enough)

I got a call from Noah's Principal yesterday.
I was a little surprised to hear from her. Afterall, they have only been in school for not quite a month now. My heart sank though. I totally thought Noah was in trouble & I was getting to hear about it.
All I could think of was, what did he do now?? (This wasn't an uncommon thought last year, but thankfully not from the principal)

Anyway, long story short Noah was not in trouble. I was just being informed about an incident at school involving Noah.
Noah had been choked by another student over some silly misunderstanding.
Noah was not hurt in any way, just very scared.
His principal was very upset over this happening. She stated that the other little boy is on very thin ice over this incident & is already on his way to being kicked out of the school.

To be honest, my first thought was choking is considered an assualt when you are older. Then I thought how ironic this all is. I thought that Noah would be safer at a private school, but what a silly notion that was!

I'm not upset at the other little boy.
And surprisingly, neither is Noah.
Noah says it simply as the other little boy shouldn't have done that & that they have been friends in the past. I told him he should pray for the boy since he obviously has some deep rooted issues over something. I do have to wonder if someone at him home, maybe an older brother who does this to the boy. Which makes me sad.

Noah did not lash out or try to attack the little boy back.
Which surprised me. Not in a bad way or a good way. I'm just surprised he didn't try to hit the boy or anything along those lines. I'm sure he was shocked & didn't know what to do.
Noah's teacher did not stop the boy, the teacher's aide did. And I'm so thankful she was there to witness the incident.
this is, according to Noah, not the first time this little boy has tried to hurt him.

Noah is now supposed to tell someone if this boy touches or tries to do anything to him in anyway ASAP. Obviously, I'm too as well.

I feel sad knowing this happened & I do have to wonder if this boy has tried to hurt any of the other kids at school. I don't think this is a bully incident because Noah knew him from somewhere else. But it does make you wonder you know?

I think the thing that makes me the most sad is knowing that the little boy needs help obviously. He was upset at Noah because he believed Noah was going to cut ahead of him to use a computer. Such a small, silly thing to want to choke someone over. And all Noah was doing was going to put his name on a list. an innocent bystander I guess.

I think I'm going to send an e-mail to Noah's principal & just let her know that I hope that little boy gets help & gets help fast. I'm not concerned about Noah's safety, yet. But if I ever get a whiff of suspicion that he is in harm's way, I do intend to put the pressure on for that little boy to be removed from the school all together. Which I'm sure is what a lot of other schools would have done right from the start instead of giving this boy time to change.

I volunteer in a program called Diversion which is a community based program where we work with kids who have been "diverted" out of the juvenile court system to do community service or other classes that we might assign to this kid/teen as a part of their accountability to their crime. (that was one big sentence!! sorry, I have poor sentence structuring) Anyway, I have seen I think 2 different cases where a kid has choked another kid, one on the bus & another on school grounds. The one kid was removed from the bus for the remainder of the year & I cannot remember what happened to the other kid, but I believe he was suspended for 2 weeks. Either way, these kids were punished. Sure, they might have been a lot older then this boy, but still.

I think I just want to know what sort of punishment he is recieving for what happened.
I think I'll be satisfied after that.

Please don't send me tons of comments telling me I'm brushing this off or down playing what happened. I fully trust the principal & I totally believe she has great judgement & that is why I'm allowing her to deal with this situation instead of me.

But I did just have to write what had happened. I mean afterall, kids can teach us some amazing acts of forgiveness...

No comments: