Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Fair

So I did the whole fair thing today.
Boy I tell you, its the same thing every year. I'm starting to think even the vendors are the same every year too! I swear if I don't see another one of those Super Soaking rag things I'll be happy.
I think my mom buys one every year too. Aren't they supposed to last a long time?? Thought that was one of its unique selling points!?

Enough of that.
Promoting the station was a little dry at first, but got better once we got some young blood with us.
I showed up & Bryon (the promotions guy), Amy Lynn (the morning show gal) & John (the morning show producer) were already there. They were situated in Toonville, otherwise known as the children's area. Complete with the whole "meet & greet" section where you can come & meet people like the Rugrats, Spiderman, Hulk, Dora, etc. We only had the Rugrats today & they didn't seem to be a very big hit.
It was a little boring at first. Nobody really talked & I really only knew Bryon so I felt a little out of place. Eventually Bryon sent them off to run some sort of errand & we talked on & off about nothing really important. I felt like the conversation was dragging a little, but he had been there since 8am that morning just sitting basically & here it was nearly 2pm & he was staying until 9pm. Yes, 9pm. Is that crazy or what? I asked him if that was his idea & he said it was. I told him he was crazy. He agreed.
Amy Lynn & John came back & the conversation died off again. It wasn't like they weren't friendly or anything....just sort of not friendly? Does that make sense? I guess they were a little tired. They both said they were exhausted. Oh the joys of being on a morning show & then having to do things on the weekend too. I tell you, Radio is probably a 7 day a week thing. its a lot of work.

Then it was down to Me & Bryon.
I felt a little weird at first. I sort of wonder if Bryon thinks I'm some sort of weird "give me a job" kid or something. funny thing is, I think I'm older then him too. Its interesting how others become so successful so fast.

Jeff showed up. Jeff was another volunteer to close out the night with Bryon. And that was when all the fun started to happen.
Bryon discovered his mircophone worked with the amp he had & he as all over that thing. We started handing out things & trying to get people to buy us things. They took this picture of me with a lady dressed up in a cowgirl outfit on stilts. She was just a little taller then me. I'll see if I can't get that picture.
Jeff was fun. He is still in high school so it was willing to do pretty much anything.
Bryon got his second wind then too. He told everyone (on his mic of course) that he would give them a DVD for anyone who would buy us 3 scones. "a DVD valued at $20 for only $3..." And you know what? It worked. Someone actually bought us scones for that DVD.
Ahhh the power of radio. We were eternally grateful. There is nothing like a free hot scone. Especially when those babies are $1! can you believe that? Its a scone for goodness sake!!! But nearly everything at the fair is outrageously expensive. Its $8 to park!!!

I had fun.
I was reminded again why I got into radio. For the silliness. Just the simple fun of being involved with the community. Sure there is a boring side to it all, but once you mix the right people together & you let your guard down you just have fun.
All in all, it was fun.
Just fun.
I had fun laughing.
I'd forgotten that I need to laugh a little more now & again. Sure I laugh, but does anything really strike me as funny?
No, not really.
Maybe when I watch a movie or something like that.
But today I laughed.
I laughed over silly things. The faces we made at one another. Arguing about a show that had been on Nickelodeon at one time or another....
Man, I sort of miss school all of a sudden.
It was like school.

Thank you God for a blessed day!
It was a blessing to be around those who can stir up something as just a reminder in more ways then one!

MKD

No comments: