Sunday, January 17, 2010

He Sent the Rain....


Have any of you seen the movie or read the book Faith Like Potatoes? Well let me warn you the book is 100x better then the movie, but the stories in the book are incredible and remind me of a lot of what my faith and teaching was based upon.
True faith...faith that is simple, like a potato.

James read the book and then we watched the movie and only one part got to me. There was a fire because the droughts were happening all throughout Africa and somehow a small fire started which blazed into a bigger fire. The main character had just recently become saved and he was praying, "Please God make it rain" and he would tell his friend (not saved nor a God believer) to pray with him, but his friend kept saying, "No. Its not the rainy season yet."
But he kept praying and praying and the part that made me cry was when he sent the Rain. And my first thought was, I need some rain in my life.
Some rain....Rain that only comes from God that brings relief and Joy all at once. That was how it was in the movie. He was so relieved because the rain stopped his land from being scorched and his friend was so blown away that the rain came--during the dry season.

I know at times I feel like I'm going right thru a dry season and I just need the rain. Oh man do I ever. I think that is why that part in the movie hit me so hard was because I wasn't really allowing God to take control of our whole Job or lack there of Job situation. I was holding onto my fears and while I wanted to let go it was hard. Now things are better then it was when I saw that movie which was back in early December.
Seeing the rain hit the dry dirt and the joy from the people who were so exhausted from fighting the fire was like seeing my life on the screen.
They had been battling for what felt like forever and not winning since it was so dry. The main character became badly burned from sap exploding off a tree....its just like our lives at times?
We are so tired from putting out fires and fighting fires or just trying to KEEP the fire from growing that we can't even see the Heavens anymore.
And then after our "arrow-prayers" aimed thru the flames and smoke we pray, "send the Rain Lord. Send the Rain."
And right on time he does.
He brings the rain that just brings the relief we so need.

Sometimes its a rain shower or mist, but most of the time I've seen God respond like a Flood. He Brings the rain.
And we just stand there, arms wide open receiving the rain as its blessing just pours down on us. Its such an awesome feeling that we can't even describe it.
But I like to think its like that part in the movie. And they sure were happy! So happy in fact that it made people Believe.
That is the kind of Rain I want in my life.
The kind of rain that brings others to Christ just because they see all I've gone thru, but God blessed me and pulled me out of it.

He'll bring the rain. I know he will.
Right now the rains are more like a quick shower, but just enough for me to be reminded to keep the faith. Keep that simple faith.

Like a Potato.

Bring the Rain Lord. Bring the rain.

No comments: