Saturday, April 25, 2009

Worship Yoga

Ok so I have an idea for a yoga class.
You know how a lot of Christians just baulk at the Yoga idea because of its Indian influence and new agey type roots?
Well I was thinking tonight when I was washing off my yoga sweat that Yoga needs to have a Worship Yoga class for the Christians who can't get past the whole "yoga" thing.

Now I realize I'm going out on a limb here, but just picture it. This is how it would go....

Go into class (hot or cold room) you sit how ever you want, close your eyes and the teacher opens up with a prayer and a mini-sermon. Someting like, "Ok class today we are going to worship God thru our Yoga moves. I know it sounds weird, but it'll be awesome I swear and you'll be spending the next 90 min worship Him and drawing closer to Him." (I know you are moved by my sermon right?!)

Then we'd start up with our yoga moves and throughout the class worship music is played---fast paced worship praise music at first for all the standing moves.
If a student would feel so led they can get down on their knees (childs pose naturally) and take a moment to rest if need be, but hopefully in a expression of worship.
When the teacher is giving their little examples of "Be like ____" it would be all God related. For example, "Reach for the heavens like you are trying to reach up to God."

Once you hit the floor series (all moves on the floor) the worship music will tone down to just worship. Then with all the moves performed in that series again all examples will be God related and God inspired.
For those who love to Worship the floor series might be a little hard. There would be a lot of wanting to just stop and sit in his presence throughout it and could be distracting. Especially for someone like me who starts to listen to words instead of instruction!

Maybe half way thru the class some scriptures would be read about caring for the body and what God wants you to do with your body---you know to keep it somewhat workout related!

And then class would end with a closing prayer and some silence to just listen to see if God speaks to you while resting in silence.

I know I'm going way over some people's heads here putting this out here, but I'm a BIG fan of worship so I just want to apply it to all things life! Besides, God should be in everything anyway right? Oh wait, he already is! ;)

So there you go--Worship Yoga. It 'll revolutionize the yoga experience I swear. Mindy, bring me your cards and I'll start writing you up a God Version of your script! ;)

No comments: