Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Look & New Book

So do you like the new look?
I know, its a little BRIGHT, but I like me some bright colors sometimes. Besides, lets face it the old blogger layouts were getting old. Thanks to Cheerio Queen (who I followed from Jessica's blog) who had a SWEET layout and a link to the layouts. Obviously you can add a new layout to yours if you follow the stupid links on mine. (Is this like a myspace withdrawl or something?!)

So I read the a book the other day called, Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson and it was a really good book. Christian fiction naturally, but really made me think. It wasn't my usual pick of fiction books (I prefer cheesy, Christian romance novels, raze me about that later) and I wasn't really into it at first. But once I really got to reading it it really started to make me think about what I was doing with my life and how I was living.

I sit on my other blog and promote the ideals of living simply and more earth friendly, which my family and I really have started doing. It has truly changed out we live. But the book talked a lot about how she wanted to make things right towards people she hurt in her past, particularly one little girl in elementary school. We are talking WAY back--not like high school, even further back.
So the main character in the book set out to apologize to a brother and sister that she hurt badly in elementary school because it had hunted her for years. She would even avoid going near their old house because of her guilt.

Personally, I can't say I have that much guilt about hurting someone in elementary school, but I can think of a little girl who was incredibly teased who rode my bus. She lived right off of Hwy 99 in a small grouping of trailers and RV's. She was poor. It was obvious. Her hair was always dirty and she wore interesting clothes. Kids on the bus teased her constantly and she was one of those girls you didn't want to sit next to you on the bus. The one that if she did you sat as close to the window as possible.
Reading that book reminded me of Lisa. I wonder what kind of person she is today because of the teasing everyone did to her. The characters in the book didn't exactly have a happy ending from their teasing, but the main character really started healing once she set out to say she was sorry.

I recommend reading the book. There is a lot more then there I'd like to cover, but not for this post as I know I lose my readers interest after a couple paragraphs.

1 comment:

Rachel Ann said...

Sounds like a good book that ALL of us could relate to in one way or another.

LOVE, just LOVE the new look...love the colors!