Ok so I'm one of "those people" that when a homeless person walks by my car while waiting at a HUGE intersection or freeway offramp, I look away and "pretend" he/she is not there.
And then I feel horribly guilty.
Let's face it--if Jesus was here today he wouldn't hang out w/ people like myself. Because he would already expect me to be spreading his world and truth to others. Jesus would be hanging out w/ the those non-Christian types and a lot of homeless people.
So last night at work after I bought my lunch and was carrying my tray o'food back to work a guy approached me & asked me for money to buy food for his mom & him who had just left their dad. I told him I don't carry cash (what I always say to the homeless; reflex I guess) and went on my way.
However as I was walking away I got this little nagging reminder of "...angels unaware" and helping those in need is like helping Jesus sort of thoughts. And I felt incredibly guilty about my big ol' tray of food.
So I ran up stairs and stuffed as much as I could into a bag of my food rations I keep in my rollie at work here. Mostly oatmeal, pop, water you know non-perishable sort of stuff. Then passed it off to him when I found him across the street.
DO I know if He even appreciated what I gave him? I don't. But I don't care because I knew I needed to help him because its my duty as a Christian to stop diverting my eyes and "pretending" I don't see. Because God sees them and hurts for their needs & I should hurt for them too.
Then today I was coming back from Noah's Dr. appt and there was another homeless man holding a sign in a big intersection. Noah proceeds to read the sign and exclaim, "I wish we had food for him."
Sigh.
I did have food in the car, non-perishable, not likely I carry food in the car sort of situation. I had raisins in a brand new bag that I was going to return to the store. Yay not so much.
I handed off the raisins to Noah and told him to give it to him.
Noah yells out of the car, "Hey Homeless man!!" and gives him the bounty.
Noah was SO excited he feed the man something. He said, "Momma we should always help people like the homeless because we're Christians."
Oh words from the wisest people run so deep. I was trying not to cry and told Noah that yes, you should always help someone in need and that is what Jesus would want him to do.
He was so tickled.
So now we are going to keep a "Homeless People Food Box" in the car for those emergencies when we might need to help someone in need.
Think about it....
Having something to give someone in need will change not just you, but probably your kids too...
2 comments:
It is so true that it is easy to just look the other way when you see someone, I think everyone is guilty of that at some time. Since living out in the suburbs and not going "out" to much I don't see the homeless as much as if you are commuting into a city or living in the city. You have reminded me of what I "used to do" when at the Univ. I used to buy extra bagels and cream cheese and give it to the people outside of the grocery stores(again I was in the city so there was always someone there) you have reminded me that jsut because I am not seeing homeless people eveyday doesn't mean they are not there. Maybe my eyes have been closed due to living in the burbs. Or maybe I just choose not to see what is probably here too. Great reminder for us all. Ofcourse Derrick and I are always aware of the Union Gospel Mission in Seattle. It is where Derrick stayed for 6 months while coming off of drugs years ago. As we come in to the winter months they always have a pledge drive If you don't want to give to someone standing on a corner, this is another great option. Union Gospel Mission has both men's and women's shelter and helps people coming off drugs,a nd homeless, and has many other programs as well. Just an FYI to any of your loyal readers!! Thanks for the great read.
Way to go Noah...and way to think ahead with a box of food in the car. I'm sure that you are doing what Jesus would do!
Post a Comment