I will admit that my first attempt at Improving my serve by volunteering at our church was a difficult one to say the least.
God really knows how to work someone doesn't he?!
It rained.
Oh boy did it rain.
And it wouldn't have been soo bad if the Pumpkin Patch Bash wasn't OUTSIDE!!
So needless to say, we all got a little wet. Ok, soaking wet. I dont' think the rain let up all night. Somehow I managed to get thru the night (it was only 3 hours) still with a smile. Towards the end of the event it started to just pour down rain. Sort of like God was saying, ok its over time to leave! Which worked out pretty good because it gave everyone a little chance to start tearing down.
But what was absolutely the best thing about it was that I felt loved on by the leaders & church staff. Yes, it isn't necessary for anyone to go around asking if you are doing ok or if you needed a coffee to warm you a little, but they did. They were like little cheerleaders coming around to just say hang in there we really appreciate you.
And when it was over, I didn't feel guilted into staying longer to help tear down or made to feel badly about leaving. Just lots of thanks & praise for our help.
Without volunteers this thing probably wouldn't have made it off the ground as easily. This way it made it easier to have more things to do.
And I saw a lot of happy kids & happy parents. Although everytime they slid down an inflatable they got soaked, you should have seen those kids faces! Oh priceless! It was shock & awe!! :)
Being loved on by everyone makes me want to volunteer again. It makes me feel valuable & appreciated. Which I think it a huge goal of any church, to get people to continue to volunteer.
I should apologize in advance right now....they don't call people volunteers at Puyallup Foursquare, they call them Support Staff. That way everyone feels like they are a part of the church.
I did get some candy. Unfortuantely the rain did keep probably quite a bit of people away from the event, but because of that every kid walked out with a TON of candy. Noah alone got a whole bucket & a grocery store sack full of candy. Yeh, he had fun. Although I could tell he was a little bit disappointed that he couldn't do the inflatables. But he didn't want to get wet & those inflatables were more like slip & slides.
So hey---I'll keep volunteering where I can. Still searching for where I fit, but working on getting there eventually.
Thank you Puyallup Foursquare for loving the Puyallup Community & allowing me to be a part of it!!!
2 comments:
Does Noah get the Kit Kat Bars, or does Mom? I'm glad you had fun, it's an exciting event isn't it? If you need suggestions of where to help, I have ideas! Thanks for the post about my mission's trip, I am really excited. God showed me some awesome revelations for my personal life last year, and I am going expecting the same this year.
Ok I don't know if I know you. It is Jason Simmons, just moved from Puyallup to Texas. I do know Rachel! Nice to see some bloggers from Puyallup! Keep it up. My wife is Megan by the way.
Post a Comment